5 Steps for a Home Acne Facial

I love going to the spa, but, je regrette, it is not always in the budget. When you don't have a spa appointment but your skin is congested, do your own home acne facial. It is not that difficult, actually it is kind of a treat. My advice — go into spa mode and have fun with it.

To give my skin a spa-like super cleansing I get out my supplies (lavender essential oil, blackhead remover, jojoba oil and oats, clay powder and rose water, moisturizers), I dim the lights, put on my comforting aromatherapy blend (ylang ylang and cinnamon is presently my favorite) and pop in my soothing soundscape CD (yes I still use discs!, call me old-fashioned).

1. First is the lavender facial steam

While you bring two cups of filtered water to a boil, prep your skin by washing with a gentle cleanser and lukewarm water. Then pour the boiling water into a glass bowl or pan and add five or six drops of lavender essential oil. Hold a towel over your head like a canopy, and let the steam rise up to your face. You have to get close, so shut your eyes!

2. Next is the extraction 

If you are not comfortable with a blackhead remover, then you can skip this step, although removers are really not that hard to use, especially when your pores are open. Sterilize the tool with your boiling water or a swab of alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Press the small loop end over your blackhead, applying even pressure until the blackhead comes out. If it doesn't work, move on to the next blemish, you don't want to damage your skin, besides, there is always the next home acne facial to try again.

3. Homemade facial scrub

Now it is time to exfoliate to get rid of any dead skin cells. I whip up a quick homemade scrub by mixing ground oats and jojoba oil. You can also use cornmeal or coffee grounds, two other common kitchen gritty substances. Gently massage over your skin.

4. The clay mask

For fighting acne, clay masks are amazing. You can use whatever recipe that you like. My standard is the rose water and green clay face mask. Add enough rose water to the clay powder to make a paste, spread a thin layer over your face, and relax until the mask dries. Rinse with warm water.

5. Moisturize

That's it, you are done. Mist on your facial toner if you like and then put on your serums, moisturizing cream, and eye creams.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mountain Rose Herbs. A herbs, health and harmony c

Disclaimer

While I love my skin, I am not actually a dermatologist or a medical professional. The information on this site is not meant to treat or diagnose any health issues.