Taking Flaxseed Oil Supplements for Better Skin: My Experiment

From flax to linseed oil.
As promised, my next beauty quest is to take flaxseed oil supplements to see how they improve my skin. The oil is high in essential fatty acids, and is a particularly good source of omega-3 fatty acids in the form of alpha linolenic acid. You've probably heard a lot about omega-3s being essential for well-being. They are really important for heart health, joint health, and brain health just to name a few, and not so easy to find in a typical diet unless you eat a lot of salmon and walnuts. Supplementing with flaxseed oil is an easy way to boost your omega-3 intake, and to support your skin!

I've just finished supplementing with collagen, which I was surprised to find that there was a noticeable improvement in my skin and hair, although slight. You can read about my experience with collagen here; Supplementing With Collagen, My Experience So Far.

So, why is flaxseed oil good for your skin? On a cellular level, the essential fatty acids, both omega-3 and omega-6s help to protect cell membranes. This means they help to allow the good stuff into your cells and keep the bad stuff out. This translates into holistic benefits for your entire body, skin included. Flaxseed oil supplements are a great idea for anyone, but they are especially useful for anyone with sensitive, dry skin or acne. The fatty acids in this oil have great anti-inflammatory benefits that skin responds well to. They are soothing and calming. The reason flaxseed is good for acne, is it helps to thin skin's natural oil, sebum, which is responsible for clogging pores and causing breakouts. I would imagine the anti-inflammatory benefits are good for fighting acne too.

I'm taking cold pressed flaxseed oil, the Whole Foods brand (no affiliation). It says to take 1 to 3 softgels a day, at 1000mg each. I will aim for three a day. I will let you know how the supplementing goes over the next few weeks.

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in their skin from taking flaxseed oil supplements?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mountain Rose Herbs. A herbs, health and harmony c

Disclaimer

While I love my skin, I am not actually a dermatologist or a medical professional. The information on this site is not meant to treat or diagnose any health issues.